Lead Alkyd Ground
Rublev Lead Alkyd Ground is a blend of white pigments and alkyd for a semi-absorbent ground ideal for oil painting. It is formulated for coating non-absorbent supports, such as ACM, and absorbent rigid supports, such as hardboard.
Rublev Lead Alkyd Ground is a blend of white pigments in alkyd for a semi-absorbent ground ideal for oil and alkyd painting. It is formulated specifically for priming non-absorbent rigid supports, such as ACM or copper, but can also be used on absorbent rigid supports, such as solid wood or hardboard or canvas mounted on rigid supports. While it is best applied to rigid supports, it can be applied to stretched canvas. Rublev Lead Alkyd Ground typically dries within eight hours.
Rublev Colours Lead Alkyd Ground has a high concentration of pigments so usually only two coats are necessary, but more coats create a smoother, less absorbent surface. Apply directly onto ACM or copper panels with the recommended preparation below, or onto wood surfaces. Rublev Lead Alkyd Ground is an excellent foundation for oil and alkyd paints.
The important characteristics that grounds should have are (1) adhesion, 2) flexibility, 3) penetration control, 4) a type of surface to which upper layers can adhere well, 5) blister and crack resistance, and 6) good application properties. Careful selection of ingredients in an oil ground is essential to impart these qualities to the ground. Ground natural calcite (calcium carbonate) in combination with lead white (basic lead carbonate) and a maximum chalk resistant grade of rutile titanium dioxide have proven to be an excellent choice of pigments in such grounds.
We make Rublev Lead Alkyd Ground using all three white pigments; calcite, lead white and titanium white in just the right proportions to make a film that remains flexible, tough and has some degree of absorbency.
The dry ground calcite we use in Rublev Lead Alkyd Ground has a closely controlled particle size distribution. This grade of calcite is designed to provide the lowest possible oil absorption. It offers the desired penetration control with maximum chalk resistance. Calcite aids in forming the type of surface on grounds to which upper layers will adhere easily.
Lead white, and to a lesser degree, ground calcite, have low water absorption properties and hence develop better blister and crack resistance. Furthermore, lead white contributes to more film flexibility.
The presence of titanium white increases the opacity of this ground and provides a brilliant white surface. We have selected a grade of titanium white that exhibits good hiding and excellent dispersion properties.
Does Not Contain Zinc Oxide
Many manufacturers use zinc white (zinc oxide) to get a brighter white in their grounds and paint. Zinc oxide is not recommended in oil grounds, since it tends to cause blistering and cracking in oil paint and grounds—we have not used any zinc in this product.
After many trials, we have carefully chosen a specific alkyd such that there is a limited penetration of oil into the panel to assure good adhesion to this substrate and yet maintain sufficient holdout to establish a good foundation for the upper layers. This alkyd also provides the best possible leveling properties, so brush and knife marks are minimized.
As part of the vehicle, Rublev Lead Alkyd Ground contains mineral spirits to provide the right fluid consistency and to hasten drying.
A blend of cobalt, zirconium and calcium driers have been added in precise amounts to ensure rapid drying of the primer once it is applied.
Rublev Lead Alkyd Ground contains an anti-skinning agent to prevent skinning and drying in the can during storage. If kept tightly closed the contents can be expected to last for indefinitely, but we recommend purchasing only an amount that can be used within one year.
STIR WELL BEFORE USING.
Using a bristle brush, brush the first coat of Rublev Lead Alkyd Ground evenly across the surface of the panel. Remove any excess and smooth the surface with a brush or palette knife. For Let it dry completely—hard dry. Apply at least one more coat by repeating the process. Allow the panel to dry thoroughly before painting.
For an eggshell finish, apply with a foam roller (not nap roller). Foam rollers produce the smoothest finish and are ideal for use on ACM. Apply a thin coat with the foam roller and allow to become slightly tacky. Smooth the ground with the foam roller without loading more ground.
It is not necessary to dilute Rublev Lead Alkyd Ground, but it can be thinned with mineral spirits, odorless mineral spirits (OMS) or turpentine. For best results, do not over dilute.
Preparing Aluminum Composite Material (ACM) For Priming
Note: Use only the coated side of the panel for painting and mounting.
• Remove the protective film from the coated side slowly and carefully to avoid static build-up.
• Clean the panel surface with ethyl or isopropyl alcohol, using non-colored lint-free cloth for best results. It is important not to use solvents, soaps or liquid cleaning materials as they may leave a film residue that can affect adhesion. Additionally, cleaners containing silicone can interfere with adhesion and are not recommended. A 70% solution of isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol is recommended as the cleaning material.
• Scuff the surface with abrasive paper, preferably using a grain size of 360 grit. Do not grind through the coating to the aluminum metal.
• Remove dust with a lint-free cloth moistened with denatured or isopropyl alcohol.
• For priming, please follow the directions above.
Hints for Better Priming Results on ACM
• Acclimate the panel to room temperature prior to use—especially when the panel has been stored at low temperature.
• Avoid fluctuating humidity or environments that are too dry—this can lead to static build-up.
• Do not touch panel surfaces with bare hands and do not allow any liquid cleaning materials or solvents (except denatured or isopropyl alcohol) to dry on the panel surface.
• If the panel has a protective film, this should be removed slowly and carefully to avoid static build-up.
• For best results, sweep the panel surface with ionized air prior to painting or mounting and consistently apply measures to reduce static build-up.
• Do not subject the ACM panel to heat exceeding a maximum of 80° C (175° F).
Health and Safety
WARNING! CONTAINS LEAD AND PETROLEUM DISTILLATES. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. Avoid ingestion and skin contact. Wear protective clothing and gloves to prevent contact with skin. Avoid inhaling fumes of mineral spirits. Use with adequate ventilation. Never use near children or pets. Conforms to ASTM D 4236.
CONTAINS LEAD / CONTIENT DU PLOMB
DO NOT APPLY TO SURFACES ACCESSIBLE TO CHILDREN OR PREGNANT WOMEN.
NE PAS APPLIQUER SUR UNE SURFACE ACCESSIBLE AUX ENFANTS OU AUX FEMMES ENCEINTES.
Must be used exclusively as material for the purposes of arts, crafts or hobbies, not for use by children. Utiliser uniquement aux fins suivantes comme matériaux pour les besoins d'art, d'artisanat ou passe-temps, pas pour une utilisation par les enfants.
|Processing Time||Orders ship on Tuesdays and Thursdays.|
California Proposition 65: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.